The student news site of Oilton Public Schools

Oilton Panther Press

Filed under Opinion

Mr. Bowline or “Bow”

I have been extremely active in FFA since my 8th grade year, and until this year, I didn’t have the “FFA adviser” that many kids seem to look up to. Lucky for me, we got a new AG teacher this year, Mr. Bowline. I have immediately clicked with him and it’s been a never ending story since then. He helped me decide on college, and motivated me to  do great things all year long. Not once did I doubt his intentions for me, nor resent him for anything that went wrong, but I finally know what it feels like to have a bond with my FFA adviser so here is a few things that every die-hard FFA kid knows too well:

1. They are just as invested as you are. Your success in a competition, running for an officer position or in the show ring is a victory for them as well. It means the crazy amount of times they spent listening to you recite the Creed has paid off when you are able to advance to the district competition and they are able to watch with pride.

2. Advisers have an incredible sense of fashion. Official dress is the only way to go, in their minds. It always goes with everything and never clashes. In regards to their own wardrobe, jeans and a plaid shirt is business attire, right?

3. They always know the dirt. No, I’m not talking about soils (but they do know about that). FFA advisers know about the fight that happened at lunch way before you do.

4. They see you at your worst and still think you are the best. When you are in tears because the computer deleted half of your State Degree application, they don’t in fact scold you for not saving every couple of minutes. They help you start over and THEN scold you. I can’t begin to count how many times Bow and I accidentally did something wrong and had to restart. An adviser never complains when you show up to an event still red in the face and sweating from basketball practice, because they understand you are balancing a lot and appreciate the fact that you are there, and at Oilton, any kids in FFA are also playing sports.

5. They make great references. I personally can’t thank my Mr. Bowline enough for the amazing letters of recommendation he wrote for scholarships and job applications. Huge shout out to Bow for only sighing a little bit when I call him up and ask if it is possible to have one ready to go in two days because I didn’t quite realize the due date was so soon.

6. Advisors are experts in decorating. It does not matter if there physically is not any space left on their walls; if you won a plaque or banner, they will find a way to display it. No one really knows the color of paint in their classroom since every inch is covered.

7. They are always prepared. Whether it is the ability to find an extra scarf when you forgot yours, or your car battery died on your way to school (easy for me, Mr. Bowline lives across the road from me). In the stickiest of situations you run to them.

8. They aren’t in it for the money. How do we know that? Because they are not paid nearly enough for the ridiculous amount of overtime and energy they put into making each year the best for members.

9. Boring car rides don’t exist. They somehow manage to make those long van-rides to CDE competitions, livestock judging and state convention the most memorable and filled with laughter. Whether it is bringing up that chapter officer from the other town you have a crush on or pulling pranks on you when you fall asleep, each drive is more fun than the last.

10. Advisors are protective. Similar to a my momma, Bow is definitely fiercely loyal and always has my back.

I will always remember everything Mr. Bowline has done for me or will continue to do!